Sunday, July 3, 2011

Finished Rainbow Quilt

This quilt was completely inspired by Jolene's quilt, down to the striped binding. She is one of my favorite modern quilters. You should check out her work on her blog Blue Elephant Stitches. I oriented my stripes of color vertically, instead of horizontally though, and of course, every improvisational quilt is unique. I only used scraps for the top. Think of the quilts that could be in your scrap bins!The back of the quilt features the modern log cabin block I made at Improv Studio which began my whole current compulsive log cabin making. I surrounded the block with Kona grass. I have noticed that very few of my recent quilts make use of a white solid. It's fun to use other colors as neutrals. I quilted it with a decorative stitch which I changed slightly by widening it and increasing the stitch length, as I've done before. It's quick and easy, and I like how it sort of disappears while still adding texture. I used a green thread in the bobbin to match the back and a tan thread on top to blend with all the prints.This quilt is 40 x 48, and I hope it comforts some little person a lot. It's going to Project Linus.

8 comments:

Jolene said...

*sigh..* I love your quilt so much (don't tell mine, but I think yours is cooler!) and the Kona Grass on the back is so perfect.

felicity said...

Love. Love love love. Love.

Katie B said...

This is fantastic! It will make a little person very happy!

Sharon said...

Very nice!

Katherine said...

Gorgeous!

Mary Anne said...

I love this quilt - it is just gorgeous!

Liz Jimenez said...

Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous. A rainbow scrap quilt has now jumped onto my to-do list, big time. I love everything about it!

Laurie Wisbrun | Scarlet Fig said...

This is so stunning!