Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pojagi Revisited

I first discovered pojagi, a traditional Korean style of patchwork, when my first child was an infant. At the time, I couldn't find any explanations of the technique in English, so I made an American hybrid for his baby quilt. I spotted some lovely examples of pojagi on a trip to Korea, but was still mystified as to how the seams were finished.
Fast forward five years and there is lots of stuff available online, so I checked out SillyBooDilly's tutorial for creating pojagi on the machine. My friend Lauren and I used the second method (look for an amazing window panel from her soon), and it's pretty simple folks.I used a moda solid and a cross weave. The cross weave is perfect for this. You want to use some type of solid, because pojagi is reversible. All the raw edges are enclosed, and it is not layered with batting or quilted. So, it's perfect for window panels, table runners, light scarves, you name it. Here you can see the front and the back.
There will definitely be more pojagi in my future. If you'd like to see some authentic Korean pojagi, search for the work of Chunghie Lee.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

This is really neat. It looks like it uses what were called "French seams" when I used to do clothing construction decades ago. Going surfing for Chunghie Lee now. :D

Vicki said...

It's so pretty, Alex. :)

Bellgirl said...

This is beautiful! I love the idea of making some window panels for my home.

Victoria said...

great job!!