Saturday, July 30, 2011

Falling Leaves Runner and Placemats

I'm so excited to finally be able to share this project with you.  It seems like a long time ago that I started these blocks for the solids challenge.  You never saw the results because I decided to submit the pattern to Fat Quarterly (a modern quilting ezine published quarterly).  The pattern for this runner and matching placemats is in Issue 6, available for purchase now. I got an advance copy, and there are some great projects in this one. The issue is all about different substrates, so if you're interested in using voile, felt, linen or other fabrics, check it out!
I paired kona solids, from a charm pack, with Essex linen cotton blend.  It has all the texture and appeal of linen, but it's a bit easier to use.
The leaf blocks are made with a combination of improv piecing and a template (that my tech savvy friend Lauren digitized for me - thank you!).  I show you how to piece the curves and trim down the blocks for perfect squares.
The gorgeous quilting on the runner was done by the fabulously talented Angela Walters.  Doesn't it looks like the wind swirling around the leaves?  I had a lot of fun creating the pattern.  Please, let me know if you read it or try it out!

16 comments:

Laura said...

It is lovely! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

That's really effective, Alex! Love the look it gives. THe quilting does make it look like a swirly windy kind of day!

CitricSugar said...

Simple and stunning! I'm really glad I'll get the pattern - I've been a subscriber to FQ since Day One!

Lynette said...

Hey, those are really cool. I love the cleanness of the simple layout with a single leaf on each placemat.

felicity said...

I've had this project pinned to my "Inspiration" board on pinterest since I first saw the photo. I love the leaves!

Laura T said...

My daughter-in-law and son will love this. I'll look for the pattern! Found your blog by way of Angela! I love her quilting as well:)
Laura T

Anonymous said...

I love those placemats! Perfect for Thanksgiving I think. I am always looking for Thanksgiving placemats.

Dawn said...

Hi. I love the placemats and runner. I bought the issue just for your pattern. I did have one question -- Where did you find your essex linen in that color? I'm having trouble locating some to make these.
Thanks,
Dawn

teaginny said...

I got my essex linen from marmalade fabrics. I know Tammy tries to keep that color in stock. Hope that helps!

Dawn said...

Thank you! I will check that out right now. =)

Anonymous said...

I purchased the ezine now my questin is how did you pull all the fabrics together? Because when looking for everything online, not all of it can be purchased from the same online shop.
Thanks, Mary Fioretti

teaginny said...

Thanks Mary. I purchased my supplies from various online retailers. You're right though, it can be hard to find one shop that has everything you want for a project. Good luck!

Sarah said...

gorgeous!

Unknown said...

My sis just sent me this pic, can't find the pattern since this is 5 yrs old! Any help on where i can get it now?

Mo said...

I'm a new quilter and have fallen in love with Table Runners and Placemats. Found your"Falling Leaves" and then come to find out Issue # 6 is no longer available. Is there anyway I can still purchase or get a hold of the pattern? I would really appreciate it.-Melodie

CookieFlannel said...

How can I purchase this beautiful pattern?