Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pieced Vehicles, Improv Style - Front End Loader


Next up in the tutorials for improv pieced vehicles, as found in this quilt, the front end loader.

Obviously, these vehicles are very stylized. What's most important to me when I make something like this is how the block reads. Is this vehicle realistic? No. Does it read as a piece of construction equipment? Yup - at least to my four year old! That's what I'm going for. I just try to reduce a vehicle down to its most basic shapes. You could use this technique to make a quilt block representing anything.
Front End Loader Tutorial



3 comments:

kelly lautenbach said...

SO SO SO cute! :)

jeri said...

How fun!

Jennwith4 said...

I'm login these improv pieces! I want to make a block based on my inlaws house but designing a paper pieced one was getting too complicated plus I've never done it before. I believe this will be a better option. :)