Friday, September 10, 2010

Hot Java

My father likes his coffee hot. Very hot. He also enjoys using a french press to brew coffee. The problem is, the glass carafe doesn't keep coffee hot while it brews, much less keep any extra warm until you're ready for your second cup. So, he asked me to make a quilted cozy for his french press. I looked around and found many cozies on etsy, but none covered the top of the press. Logic tells me this is where most of the heat would escape. Here is my solution. A cozy, with a layer of insul-brite as the batting, with a drawstring closure at the top. Open, you slide the cozy over your press.
Then pull the strings to trap in the heat. The hole is big enough to allow you to press down the lever when brewing is done, without removing the cozy. Obviously, it does have to be removed to pour the coffee, but my goal is to make it slide easily on and off. This first attempt is a bit snug. I'll add some ease, and hopefully attempt number two will be perfect! I'm wondering if something like this might be a fun item for my etsy shop.
This project definitely made me fall in love with Mingle circles in brown, as well as as the cute munki munki coffee cups. Must get more of both!

8 comments:

Mary Grace McNamara said...

How clever! A coffee cozy!

MGM

Molly said...

What a great daughter you are! I love HOT coffee too so I think this is awesome.

Anne D said...

What a great idea especially the drawstring top. It lookd great too!

Julie said...

love the design and fabric too!

Unknown said...

Great idea! So cute!

CitricSugar said...

Holy WOW! Great idea - I would absolutely purchase one of these as I just bought a french press...

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Great idea! Nice job:)

Sandie said...

Great minds think alike. I recently made a coffee cosy for my french press, my press has a wide bottom base that the carafe sits in and the handle is quite different from yours as well. With so many different designs of the French Coffee Press out there we can look forward to seeing a large variety of coffee cosies to match.