Sunday, October 11, 2009

Another New Project


There is the most fabulous and unique quilt over on flickr. It has inspired many people to make similar, tiny house blocks. I'm going to do that too, but I thought it would be fun to add vehicles to the mix. Construction vehicles mostly, since that is the obsession of my eldest. How cute would a quilt with tiny vehicles, house, tress, construction cones, etc. be, I thought? Here's my first attempt at improvisional piecing of a big rig. It is four inches long, mind you, and it may not make the cut, being so large. I think the cuteness lies in the tiny scale of the objects. My 4am flash of inspiration - fussy cut the tires out of black and white polka dot fabric! That makes the white centers of the tires. Brillant. I fused the wheels, but I'll stitch them down as well. I'll surround this block with white to make the total block 12.5 inches square. More cuteness to follow I'm sure.

Oh, and I'm almost done piecing the top of my commission quilt. Photos soon.

4 comments:

DianeY said...

Cuteness is right! I would have never thought to use polka dot wheels! Brilliant and horribly cute!

CitricSugar said...

Fantastically cute! Well-done on the fussy cute tires - I probably would've tried, cried, thrown something and then cheated with buttons. :-) Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Isa said...

This such a good idea! and together with houses etc. I think it will be a fantastic quilt

Nicole B. said...

Such a great idea! Love it!