Thursday, April 29, 2010

Out for a Walk - Finishing, Option 1

Here is the first option for finishing your off center squares baby quilt. See my previous post for the tutorial. You can see I chose to use straightline quilting. I stitched in the ditch around each dog square, and then continued in a square spiral for the rest of the block. I kept my lines straight but varied the space between lines to fit the off centered-ness of the block. Hopefully the photos illustrate what I mean. :) I then stitched 1/2 inch from each square in the sashing. I did three rounds at the edges of the quilt.
I pieced the back with three more dogs in a strip of Katie Jump Rope orange basketweave. The main backing fabric is an aqua with a very small brown dot.
I bound it using a 2 1/2 inch double fold binding, machine pieced to the front and hand stitched to the back. I used Kona chocolate.

I'm planning a very different finish for Out for a Walk #2, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

tracy_a said...

Gosh, I love this quilt! Thanks for sharing!

Katie B said...

Love this quilt! I just found your blog after seeing this quilt in the Fresh Modern Quilts group. I've been looking back through your blog, and I'm amazed! You're so talented.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely job you did! Well done! Such beautiful talent you have.

Marg said...

A fabulous job, I love the quilting. A really beautiful quilt, congratulations. I love everything about it.

Lizzy said...

So cute! I'm actually cutting into my yellow HR doggy fabric tonight to make a summer shirt for my little guy. But after looking at how adorable your Out for a Walk quilt turned out, I'm tempted to make one of those instead! Nah, I'll stick to the shirt. :)

purduepam said...

Thanks for the great pictures and tutorial for this quilt. I used your tutorial to make my first quilt.