Monday, March 30, 2015

Improv Scrappy Table Runner

Ah, what can scrappy, improv strip sets not accomplish?  Many things, I'm sure, but at the moment they are just what I want for making this rainbow table runner.
I was able to use some of my smallest scraps to create monochromatic strip sets. I added neutral strips sets to each end, trimming and sewing at a 45 degree angle. I staggered the strip sets to make a serpentine like arrangement.

Within each strip set, I tried to work from darkest to lightest value. I really like how this complicates the design slightly, by softening the points at the lightest end of each strip set. I flipped the strips sets around at random, so the values flow erratically across the runner. I think this kind of subtlety adds so much interest to a design.  If the strip sets were made of fabrics, all equal in value, the pointy design would be too stark in my opinion.
I had so much fun making this. I seem to make a lot of rainbow things from my scraps, but that is really part of the joy for me: getting to play with every color and all my favorite bits of fabrics from projects past.
While I love to sew rainbows, I don't actually decorate with them often. So this 16" x 47" table runner is available in my etsy shop.

4 comments:

Leanne said...

Your runner is lovely and each of the details makes it so nice.

SewPsyched! said...

EVERY time I see your work, I say WOW!
Thanks for the peek into how you decide on color placement!! XX!

FlourishingPalms said...

This is just yummy! Lately, I'm such a fan of these brights, and text-y neutrals. You've come up with a great design. I wish my mind worked through a new design like yours does. Well done!

Karen said...

Besides the great rainbow colors, I love the low volume prints you chose for the background and the gray for the binding! Lucky table that wears this one!