Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Wonky Kites Quilt

I had a lot of fun making this wonky kites quilt.  It's an easy improvised block to make, and the way the kites come together is a surprise each time.
I made this baby quilt to go with my wonky zigzag pillow.  They coordinate without exactly matching.
 
I'm trying a new free motion design with each quilt lately, and making these swirls felt really natural to me.
The striped binding is a Hope Valley print, and it inspired my combination of orange and purple.  I added pink and gray to the mix, and as you know, the colors have been on my mind ever since.  This quilt finished at 36 x 42.  You can read more about the process of making it here.

13 comments:

Molly said...

I love this quilt! The quilting is just perfect ... kites need some swirly winds to get them flying.

Heather D. said...

I love it! The wonky kites mixed with the swirly quilting on the gray background....reminds me of a blustery day!

moshie said...

this is gorgeous! I love that pop of purples in there...

Kirsten said...

So beautiful! I really like this color combo, and I love the wonky zig zags! And I love the quilt too :) In fact, I am going to make one similar soon; my binding triangle scraps are taking over the world! Anyways, love it!

CitricSugar said...

I agree with everyone else. The swirls make the quilting look like wind gusts!

Beautiful job.

felicity said...

Love the quilt. LOVE the swirls!

Pinky said...

Love it!! just gorgeous! :)

Krista Schneider said...

uh mazing! love love love. great job!

Marg said...

It's lovely, love the quilting. It's a great colour combo.

Anonymous said...

This is so cute!! The colors are gorgeous together. Any baby would be lucky to have it!!

Alexis Deise said...

this came out beautifully!

tusen said...

Beautiful. And this is actually my favourite colour scheme right now.

Coralee said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog and flickr page. Your blog and quilts are beautiful!!!!