Friday, July 30, 2010

Long Term Commitment

That's what is required for my newest project. I modified a pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew which you can find here. My version starts with larger blocks (10 and 8.5 inches respectively), and I'll be making more - 80 to be exact! That requires a lot of fabric!! You can see now why I needed the Peas and Carrots and other prints by American Jane. They were just so cute in the original, I had to find some! I also used some full moon dots by Amy Butler, and Make Life from a layer cake, plus various prints from my stash. I tried to stick to boy-friendly prints and avoided all florals. FYI, I found fat quarters to be an inefficient cut to use for this project, given the size blocks I needed. Half yards worked much better with less waste. Cutting the blocks and the circles took the longest, while sewing the circles onto the squares was a snap.
The plan is to make a twin sized quilt for my younger son. This is a long term commitment because these 80 blocks are only the start. Next I will cut them into quarters, mix them up and sew them back together. That will be 320 little blocks to put together again. I hope, for a lot of reasons, that it's a long time before my little guy is ready for a big boy bed!

4 comments:

Luv 2 Kreate said...

Love the circles in this fabric! Looks like it was made for this pattern :)

You are going to be busy for a long time! It will be well worth it though in the end :)

jeri said...

I love the fabric in this quilt. It will make one fabulous quilt!

MWalker said...

What a great idea for a quilt. I love the make a big block/chop it up/resew it kind of blocks, LOL. And those colors work fabulous with that idea, too.

Trisha said...

What a fun project! It looks like a lot of work but I think it will be so worth it. It is going to look awesome!