Friday, December 4, 2015

Candy Coated Christmas Quilt

I've wanted to make a Christmas quilt for several years now but could never settle on a design that I liked, would have the patience to piece, and would look good in my house. I wanted something subtle but festive, simple but not monotonous to make. I discovered the perfect pattern in Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison. The pattern, called Candy Coated, is an improv stripset design that is easy, quick, and perfect for using scrap strips. I made the quilt slightly wider and shorter than the pattern in order to make it a generous throw sized quilt.
 
The limited palette to cream, grey, and red gives the quilt a candy cane effect that isn't overly sweet.
I backed the quilt a soft flannel from Robert Kaufman and bound it with a scalloped stripe.
 
I used a simple loopy quilting design. It was a good choice because the quilt is very heavy because of the flannel. That, together with the large size, made it challenging to get through my tiny machine.
I love my new cozy, winter quilt. Now I'm all set for the holidays.


10 comments:

Debbie said...

Love this palette and how it's a tad unique for Christmas. And what a perfect binding!

Kat said...

How pretty! Lovely colors.

Izzy said...

I like this! Very nice colours!

maryandpatch.blogspot.com said...

I really like your quilt! Congratulations!

Jen said...

It's beautiful

Anonymous said...

another great quilt!!

Cynthia said...

Super cute!! Love the reds and grays!!

Karen said...

Perfect--even great for Valentine's Day. Love the Noel pillow, too !

Unknown said...

Cool!

Vicki said...

Looks great, Alex. :)