Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Scrappy Improv Strip Quilt

If you've been reading my blog for a while, or know me at all as a quilter, you know I love scraps.  I also love improv quilting.  Put them together, and I am in my favorite sewing place.  This scrappy, improv strip quilt was sewn up just for fun.  I had the idea to play with value and strips again, but in a different way from Partly Cloudy.  Instead of short strips used in strip sets, I sewed the strips end to end to create long, narrow columns.  And instead of concentrating the darkest values in the center, I put them at the top and the bottom of the quilt.  The lighter strips in the middle become the focus of the quilt. The varying lengths of the lighter strips makes the design dynamic.

I like how the quilt moves from pink to orange to yellow as well.  These bright, warm colors just scream summer to me. 
 
While I was playing with my scrappy strips, I sewed up a few improv log cabin blocks.  They never get old!  I used three of my favorite on the back of the quilt.
 
The quilt finishes at 58" x 71" and it just the right size for napping or picnicking or napping at a picnic.  I think it would be sweet in a girl's room at the end of a bed too.  The quilt is listed in my etsy shop. SOLD

13 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Gorgeous - and I'm totally going to have to have red grapefruit for breakfast tomorrow... Those colours make me hungry! :-)

Anita said...

Oh my gosh, I love this quilt.

Debbie said...

I adore this and love how you played with value...I need to practice with that more...

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

It looks fantastic, I like how you've used the lighter strips in the middle of the quilt, with the darker values at the edges.

Sarah Fredette said...

I'm normally against pink, but here - so great! This is really, really stunning.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Goodness, what a fabulous quilt. So many design details well thought and well executed. I really like the back too!

melissa said...

great color! love the darker prints on the top & bottom!

Janet M said...

Wowzers, this is one of my all time favorite modern quilts. LOVE!

FlourishingPalms said...

This is really a favorite for me. The colors are in my favorite palette, and the way you've integrated them is lovely. You really do beautiful work. I'm envious of all the great ideas you manage to come up with.

Kort og Søm said...

I love this, beautiful colors :)

Sue Laufer said...

Your quilts are yummy.

Anonymous said...

Do you sell your quilts ? I am trying to find a king sized..

Anonymous said...

My email address is seanrowse@ gmail.com..please reach out .. I love your quilts