Sunday, November 24, 2013

My First Maquette

I first heard the term maquette, or an exploratory, small scale version of an intended larger piece, on Jacquie's blog.  (One of many, many invaluable tips I've gleaned from her!)  I was intrigued by the technique but honestly too impatient to give it a try. I usually just dive head first into a new design, with almost no preliminary plans or calculations.  As you might imagine, this can occasionally lead to regret later on. Still, it is how I work most often, and usually I find complications to be opportunities to improvise.
There are certain designs which require a bit more forethought, however.  This piece of art, Light House by an Australian artist with an etsy shop called pool pony, was the inspiration for my first attempt at making a maquette.  I could see that making the curves and intersecting lines match up would be a challenge, as well as the way the colors seem to overlap.  I still improvised the piecing, but through the process of making the maquette, I learned so much. 
For example, when I make a larger version, there are different ways I'd like to arrange the colors to play up some overlap and create the illusion of transparency.  I will also change the proportions of some of the shapes, and I'd like to expand the design to include some repetition of the shapes.  I may change the way I cut the curves too, but I will definitely hope to use Oakshott cottons again.  The subtlety of the colors is just perfect for creating transparency.
A piece like this is quite a challenge to make improvisationally, and it is just the type of design that really benefits from a maquette.

5 comments:

Little Island Quilting said...

Marvellous maquette!

Bridget said...

I have never heard this term, but as I read your post, I said, "Oh! Small Studies!"

That's what Gwen Marston, a pioneer in improvisational quilting, calls those little quilts that might become big ones someday.

Here's a link to her book 37 Sketches, which was the basis for a 4 day workshop I took with her a couple years ago. http://www.gwenmarston.com/books/books.htm

Leanne said...

Great idea, when I knit I often knit a swatch to see how the plan works, often even finishing and washing it. I have done that with quilting, but not with the detail you are doing.

Debbie said...

Very cool. That's a new word for me too. Looking forward to seeing the next version of this project...

FlourishingPalms said...

You've just affirmed one of the reason I love reading quilters' blogs. I always learn something new, and I've been making quilts for more than 30 years. Thanks for sharing the term maquette, and for explaining how it works for you. Good stuff!