Friday, November 1, 2013

Busy City Baby Quilt

I just finished up this Busy City baby quilt.  I made it to be a shop sample. With just five bocks, it really is very quick to make.  You can customize the quilt by choosing which five, of the 35 total blocks, you want to use.
I experimented with using small scale, tone on tone prints, instead of all solids.  I like the texture the grass print adds to the quilt.  And look at the cute little star on the police car!
I had some fun with the quilting, which I did free motion. The negative space in this pattern gives you some room to play.
I'm seeing Busy City patterns pop up in more and more shops.  You can now find it at and i don't do dishes on etsy and coming soon to Marmalade and Shop Cucire.  It is still available at Pink Chalk, Hyggeligt and our local stores Bernina on Metcalf and Sarah's in Lawrence.  Feel free to ask for Empty Bobbin patterns at your local quilt shop, if they don't already carry them.

Update: Busy City is now available as a digital download.  Purchase the PDF from Empty Bobbin here.

10 comments:

alidiza said...

So adorable and your FMQ is fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute....love the small scale trucks with the quilt. Well done! Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

Lynette said...

Cute sky quilting! Yeah, that scale is fun. Make me think of the wide-open prairies.

CitricSugar said...

What a great little quilt. And your quilting.... Great fabric choices - you're so right about that grass print!

Carla said...

What baby (or Mommy) wouldn't love this cute quilt!

Jayne said...

I am totally in love with this! And the idea! Bravo! Love the little cars and all the negative space.

Schulz Family said...

visiting from crazy mum quilts. This is so cute. Love it

Elizabeth said...

LOVE this, Alex!! I am vending this and other Empty Bobbin patterns at the OVP sewing expo in a few weeks. I know they will all be big hits. You all are crazy talented.

Cheryl said...

So so cute! Love the quilting

Anonymous said...

Very cute. I love the quilting.