Monday, February 22, 2010

Scrappy Hand Sewing Projects

First, let me say a big thanks to each of you who commented on the previous post about my son's quilt. I got lots of great suggestions for names. While I'm deciding on the backing and binding for it, I seem to have caught the hand sewing bug. I'm not sure how it happened except that there are so many great pictures on flickr and other blogs of hexes and cathedral windows.
Besides being beautiful, they also appeal to my propensity for using scraps. I've got the bug so badly, I've even been buying scraps. It's a little embarrassing to admit, but I have fabric envy - all those goreous bits of Anna Maria Horner, Amy Butler, Heather Ross prints I see in the inspiration pics. Sigh. Anyway, I'm having lots of fun snuggling on the couch with these tiny beauties each night.

Thinking of trying a cathedral window yourself? Two words: spray starch. It made a world of difference in getting those folds to stay down and corners sharp.

2 comments:

Amy Friend said...

Both projects look great!

WHATUPDUCK said...

I was needing a handstitch project and I think this will be it! Funny how I've seen these hexagons lately on so many blogs. I can tell they are addictive.