Sunday, October 13, 2019

A New Link

I decided to get back in the scrappy saddle with the start of a new Metro Link quilt. Boy, I had forgotten how many tiny pieces (617!) are in this pattern by Michelle. The smallest ones finish at 1 x 2 inches. Cutting the background pieces from Essex linen yardage was quick, but cutting each individual piece from scraps took the better part of the past week. Whew!

I usually enjoy sewing from scraps improvisationally because it eliminates the need for precision in the initial phases, but I have to admit that there is something very satisfying about all those neat stacks cut to precisely the right size.
I've got the first step of the pattern all lined up for a night of chain piecing. Belying its precision, this type of sewing is actually quite relaxing. Unlike every step of an improv piece, there are no decisions to be made - just methodical, soothing stitches. Sometimes, it's just what you need.

3 comments:

KaHolly said...

I can’t wait to see this quilt grow!

FlourishingPalms said...

This is such a neat pattern! I love your first version, so no doubt your second version will be wonderful too. Love that darker linen background. And I definitely understand what you mean about the mindless sewing you can do when you choose a pattern with specific instructions. SO much easier than improv! This is gonna be a gorgeous quilt. Have fun in the making!

Debbie said...

oh I loved (still love) your original. I got the pattern years ago but once I saw the cutting instructions I got scared away - ha. Which is too bad. It's a terrific design. Good luck!