Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Scattered Colors Table Runner

One of my favorite projects from Improvising Tradition: 18 Quilted Projects Using Strips, Slices, and Strata is also the simplest to make. Scattered Colors Table Runner is the perfect pattern to try if you are new to improvisational piecing or if you are more experienced and want a quick project. The pattern is in the Slice and Insert section of the book. The design is simple, but it really packs a visual punch. (I can't believe I haven't shared the photo before now, even though I shared a project inspired by it in this post.)
photo by Joe Hancock

I made the runner using a crossweave for the background and shimmery shot cottons for the pops of color. The straight line quilting and matching binding keep the focus on the design.
I used rectangles of the featured fabrics on the front to create a striped backing, making the runner reversible. The texture of this runner is delicious.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Alex, I love this table runner! The clean lines and bright pops of color on the darker background make such an impact! My daughter's definitely getting one for Christmas this year.

Anonymous said...

It looks great. I love that it is reversible.

FlourishingPalms said...

The design is beautiful because of it's simplicity. I'm sure the shot cottons look glorious in person. I have a fq bundle of them that I haven't yet used, so this would be the perfect project. It's also nice that the design is appropriate for a new quilter... such as my DIL.