Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Color Gradient Runner


For the longest time, I kept these gorgeous, glowing, hand dyed fabrics, made in a workshop with Kim Eichler-Messmer who wrote Modern Color, folded neatly in a pretty stack. I couldn't pick one design that I thought was special enough for them. I finally decided to try it all. I chopped my fat quarters into a variety of shapes and sizes, and I've tried a bit of everything with them. I'm planning a random sampler of sorts. More on that later, but no promises it will be soon.
These chevrons didn't fit with the rest of the blocks, so I combined them into a minimalist runner. I seem to be on a bit of a table runner kick recently.


In any case, the poor fabrics sat for the longest time again, as I tried to decide how to quilt the runner. I wanted to play off the directional arrow-like design of the chevrons by creating a rope pattern, moving as it weaves under itself. If I had to do again, I would stick with simple straight line quilting. I like the rope motif, but I think it takes away from the simplicity of the chevron design. I'm glad I tried it though.

At 16" x 57" this a big table runner. Between the original design and the hand dyed, color gradation fabrics, it really is one of a kind. I'm listing it in my esty shop.

5 comments:

Leanne said...

The colours are beautiful and the runner is striking- I love it. It is interesting how the quilting, which is a beautiful idea, changes the look one might expect for this piece.

Kris said...

Wow that sparkles!!!

Karen said...

I just love these colors and such beautiful fabrics! Yummy! (BTW--so I'm trying to figure out where "Teaginny" comes from and all I could come up with was tea with a touch of gin--sounds questionable. Am I close?)

Jen said...

Very pretty! I like the fabric on the back, too.

FlourishingPalms said...

You're right about the colors here. So pretty! But I like how you used them. You can't go wrong with chevrons. So glad you have Etsy as an outlet for so many table runners. Or else you have the best-dressed tables in all of Kansas!