Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Digger Quilt

 
This little quilt was inspired by a quilt made by Alidiza which featured a single block (Preppy the Whale by Elizabeth Hartman) within a simple stripe.  I thought it was the perfect way to use a single paper pieced block, and naturally my Busy City blocks came to mind.
I enlarged one of the 4 x 6 blocks by 200% to make an 8 x 12 block.  This works particularly well with any of the more complex blocks in the pattern.  The good news is they are even easier to sew in this larger size.  Don't tell the other blocks, but this backhoe digger has always been my favorite in the set, so it was fun to feature it.
I backed the quilt with a great crosshatch by Carolyn Friedlander from her Architextures line.  The print blends really well with both the white and navy thread I used for the quilting.  I chose rounded edges and bias binding to finish the quilt.
This 40 x 56 quilt is a great size for preschoolers, and it sews up so quickly!  You can definitely make one in time for that upcoming baby shower or birthday party or to send to school with him or her for naptime.  And the great thing is that you can let your little person choose the block they like best (there are 35 total in the pattern, with plenty to appeal to girls too).
I'd love to see your Busy City projects.  Upload them to the flickr pool or tag them #busycityquilt on Instagram.  (Note, if you decide to enlarge a block, be sure to adjust the seam allowances around the edges to 1/4 inch.)  This quilt is available in my etsy shop.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. It's a great idea, too. It would be particularly good for people who find these kind of blocks daunting (like me). You only have to make one tricky thing, and then you can relax a little while making the rest of the quilt :)

Rebecca said...

Such a cute quilt!

molly b quilts said...

i thought that was applique--i like that it's pieced. very cute! nice binding choice too!

Cathy said...

So awesome!

a maidenhair fern said...

what a fabulous quilt! Love the blue/white. and of course the tractor. Great design!!

FlourishingPalms said...

So simple, yet so effective. I really love this! It's too bad my grandson is asking for a Star Wars quilt. Otherwise, I'd be making this one for him. Thanks for sharing. I'll be keeping it in the back of my mind in case another grandson requests a quilt.

Kat said...

So simple, but perfect!

Lynette said...

So simple and so very successful!! What a fantastic quilt. :D

Alli said...

That's so so so cute! I want to make it, but I have no tiiiiime! >_<

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this gorgeous quilt! It's such a great idea & perfect for a Mum with good intentions but limited time (such as myself)😉
I have downloaded the pattern & am looking forward to creating my own version for my truck-loving son.
Your inspiration is much appreciated. ⭐️