Sunday, September 14, 2014

Autumnal Table Runner

I made this improv table runner as a wedding gift for a good friend.  I wanted to use some gorgeous Oakshott scraps in fall colors, and that inspired me to divide the runner with a strip of brown, evoking a tree branch.
 

The improv technique I used is a variation on slice and insert, and it creates some wonderful abstract shapes.  My younger son informs me that "Abstract is when you get to make whatever you want - kind of like scribbles, but it is artwork." That's not too far off, and I'm a fan.
The blocks of color made it fun to quilt. I emphasized the divide between the colors by quilting the cream in swirls and the tan in elongated meandering ripples.  I did a simple rectangular spiral in each of the colored inserts.
I made a pieced binding to continue the background colors in the runner. It makes the binding sort of disappear, leaving the focus on the fall colors.
I was very tempted to keep the runner for myself, which I'm told is the sign of a good gift.  I hope it will see many happy years in my friend's home.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful fall table runner! I love its modernism, quilt designs and colors! I think, I too, would be tempted to keep it myself. Lovely :)

Laura

Paige said...

Mission accomplished! I'd love this on my table.

Carla said...

So pretty! I really like the quilting designs too.

Debbie said...

Very clever and unique! Nice!

Annabella said...

Absolutely gorgeous - I love the improv., the fall colours and that wonderful AMH fabric on the back :)

Josée Carrier said...

Your table runner is beautiful! I love the color choices and design. I'm sure your friend will be quite happy with her gift.

Margaret said...

Oh my! I just love this! I would be keeping it and hanging it on my wall as it's too awesome to EVER put away. It's a work of art - beautifully done!

MariQuilts said...

Love how this turned out!!

FlourishingPalms said...

This runner is fabulous! The colors are perfect, and the piecing is "abstract" - I love your son's definition! Most of all, I like your quilting. The designs you chose fit each area beautiful. So well done, Alex!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! Everything - the design, the colours, the quilting, the idea of a table runner as a wedding gift - everything! Excellent.

liz said...

WOW, this is gorgeous! I love the colors, the quilting, the overall look. Still trying to figure out how you pieced it, or if you actually raw edge appliqued the colored bits on top. love the look!

Anonymous said...

I maybe tempted to learn how to quilt..never have just a crocheter here very interested..

Anonymous said...

I just love this! Quick question. Did you applique the red strips down onto the tan/white/brown background? I can't see any seams if you did slice and insert them.

teaginny said...

It is all pieced, not appliquéd. The quilting probably obscures the pieced seams, but they are there if you look closely.

teaginny said...

It is pieced. The slice and insert method is described in my book, if you are interested.

Anonymous said...

Love your design! Looked up your book on Amazon…is it really $107.00?

Anonymous said...

It is out of print, sad to say. That’s why the price has gone up … because it is hard to find. Have you checked the used book option?