Monday, June 3, 2013

Voile Color Wheel Quilt

I am very excited to become an aunt for the second time soon.  My niece should arrive next month.  An added bonus: I get to sew for a girl!  My brother requested I keep the pink to a minimum, so I decided to create a color wheel.  It's not too pink, right?
I used my 22.5 degree wedge ruler and a self drafted template to piece the curves in quarters.  There are just sixteen wedges in this 40 x 40 quilt, as opposed to the 52 in the gorgeous color wheel quilt from, Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts, making this a pretty quick baby quilt.
The fabrics are all voile by Anna Maria Horner.  I got a quick start on the project with a fat eighth rainbow bundle of voile from Westwood Acres. Since there is no white voile, to my knowledge, I searched for a solid of a similar weight.  I'm so pleased I found Art Gallery Pure Elements in Snow at my friend Elizabeth's new Etsy shop, Cucire.  This solid has a smooth, silky hand, making it a nice match for the voile.
I kept the quilting light, and backed and bound it with more voile.  This quilt is so soft and lightweight - perfect for a summer baby.
 

14 comments:

Vicki said...

super pretty. I saw it on pinterest a few times already. :)

CitricSugar said...

So sweet! Love the translucence of the voiles against that solid white...

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! I love the original design from the book too, but have always wanted to try a smaller version. Very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Very cute. They will love it.

I own the book with the colour wheel pattern, bought nearly solely for that pattern, but I have been finding the idea of 52 wedges a little daunting. You have shown me that using less colours still looks good. Thanks.

C. Jaeger said...

That quilt is so perfect!

C. Jaeger said...

That quilt is so perfect!

tabbiegirl said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I would love to make a quilt like this - how about a pattern or tutorial - I wouldn't know where to start.

Annabella said...

Absolutely beautiful. The voile is perfect and I love that it's not *too* pink. Your brother and his new family will love it :)

Paula said...

Love this quilt and love the book that the big color wheel comes from. The voiles are perfect! Not too pink but beautiful!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Beautifully made and quilted. A great adjustment to the origin colour wheel quilt, perfect for a new baby! Off to check out that gorgeous soft white you mentioned!

Patty said...

I love your sweet baby quilt! And those Art Gallery solids are wonderful, as is Elizabeth's shop Cucire!

sewtakeahike said...

It's really really lovely Alex!! And I love your blog header, perfect in every way!

cinzia said...

perfect! so lovely with all those colors.

Krista Schneider said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the tip about that solid, I was wondering about what to pair voile with. This is beautiful, congrats on being an auntie again!