Monday, April 30, 2012

Strip Piecing

I've been working on a quilt for a publication.  Writing patterns requires a lot of precision and some math, so for a change of pace I turned to my bin of scrap strips.  A little mindless strip piecing and I had a pile of strip sets.  Some multicolored.
Some monochromatic.
I brainstormed and had 11 different uses for these strips sets, and those were only the ones I particularly liked!  To start with, I created a stack of x string blocks using this tutorial.  I was able to use a charm pack of various gray fabrics I've been wondering what to do with. I like the effect created by the different grays.
These blocks finish at 6 inches, so I'll need to make a bunch more to even reach baby quilt size.
My new triangle ruler made quick work of some gray and blue strip sets.  It's a little busy though, right?
I added a stack of solids to the mix.  Can't wait to get this pieced together.

8 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Oooh! Very cool. It's nice to take a break from complicated projects and just wing it for awhile. Especially when the results are so pretty.

Bridget said...

I love the colors and this strip design is totally new to me! Thanks for the ideas.

Melissa said...

These are great, Alex! I hope you'll tell us some of the other 11 ideas you had. I could go cut strips from my stash just to try some of the these.

Sharon said...

I totally love the X block. I need to finish a WIP that I started that uses the design. Thanks for the reminder!

Krista Schneider said...

ooooo! i like very very much :D

Svetlana said...

oh, wow! those look fantastic. I especially like how all those different grays look together with colorful stripes. So very pretty.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

That looks so relaxing and just what I need. Lovely start.

Laura said...

Gorgeous :)